Happy New Year!
A new year often comes with resolutions and commitments in hope of success and joy. Many people want to improve different spheres of life, like our career, finances, health, love life, ect… it is often difficult to know where to begin. We often get overwhelmed and within a few weeks we are back to our old habits, which can be very frustrating.
To start the New Year off on the right foot and move us through this powerful time in our lives I propose instead of making New Years Resolutions, take time to make an inspiration board. Kids love this activity and you will too!
What is an Inspiration Board? Its anything you want it to be! Ha! It is a photo collage that inspires you and drives you to help you reach your goals, to stay focused, organized and makes you happy. It’s a two dimensional art project that YOU create to inspire you to live the best life possible! There are no rules, guidelines or limits. Dream BIG and see what you can do!
My girls and I are working on our inspiration boards today, will post more about it later!
In the mean time, I offer this recipe for you to protect you from the negative tendencies of the past, to push through to a new level of health and wellbeing. Power packed with enzymes and anti-oxidants its the perfect smoothie to start 2013 off right.
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1Tbs green powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups almond milk or tea
Place all ingredients in blender and blend! Enjoy your delicious and pleasantly power packed smoothie!
Basil is an amazing herb that protects cell structures as well as our chromosomes from radiation and oxygen damage. Basil also helps the body get rid of unwanted bacterial growth and has many other positive benefits for the body.
- Anti-Inflammatory – helps relieve inflammatory health problems related to rheumatoid arthritis & inflammatory bowel conditions.
- Anti-Bacterial – helps to provide protection against unwanted bacterial growth.
- Nutrients Essential for Cardiovascular Health – Basil is a very good source of vitamin A that helps protect cells from free radical damage and helps prevent free radicals from oxidizing cholesterol in the bloodstream. (Only after it has been oxidized does cholesterol build up on the walls of the blood vessels, initiating the development of atherosclerosis, whose end result can be heart attack or stroke.)
- Basil is a Good Source of Magnesium – which promotes cardiovascular health by prompting muscles and blood vessels to relax, and therefore improving blood flow and lessening the risk of irregular heart rhythms.
- Good Source of Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium and Calcium.
Pineapple has many amazing benefits as well:
- Anti-Inflammatory – Bromelain is a proteolitic enzyme (an enzyme that digests proteins) found in fresh pineapple. It is often used to treat muscle injuries and when applied topically it helps speed up wound healing.
- Digestive Benefits – Bromelain enhances the effects of the digestive enzymes and helps prevent heartburn and ease diarrhea that may be caused by a deficiency of digestive enzymes.
- Anti-Aging – Bromelain is a natural anticoagulant that works by breaking down the blood-clotting protein fibrin.
- Improve Immune Function – Bromelain triggers beneficial changes in white blood cells, thinning mucus and is therefore effective in treating chronic bronchitis and asthma. Bromelain also enhances the effect of antibiotics (see basil above).
- Protects Against Macular Degeneration – Everyone has heard that carrots are good for your eyes? Well, pineapple is even better!
Tell me about what inspires you and your kids!
Happy New Year!
Check out my personal site at http://www.MichelleBerryShaffer.com